The project INTENSE aims at transferring intelligent energy saving measures for municipal housing from “old” EU Member States to “new” Member States, Accession and Candidate countries in Central and Eastern Europe. The project is built on a holistic approach for planning of energy optimized hous-ing. INTENSE is implemented in 12 countries by 28 partners representing multiplier organizations, municipalities and project experts. The project comprises an analysis of legal preconditions, experi-ence exchange on best practice examples, development and implementation of training programmes, pilot planning activities at partner municipalities, and public awareness raising. Increased capacities of local authorities will be an investment to the future for influencing new housing development at legis-lative, technical and planning level as well as guiding consumer behaviour towards efficient energy use. Experiences and lessons learned within the project will be further disseminated across Europe.
INTENSE has been set up among 28 partners in 12 countries, addressing 10 new EU MS and one can-didate country. The main motivation for the proposal is the booming market for new housing in CEEC as a result of growing economies and people’s desire for better living conditions, however, leading to an increase of energy consumption instead of saving. Therefore INTENSE aims at:
- enhancing the implementation and the enforcement of the energy-related EU legislation (2006/32/EC and 2002/91/EC) in new EU MS;
- integrating energy efficiency as a key element into city planning in partner municipalities;
- selecting best practice examples for energy saving measures for buildings, developing adapta-tion scenarios and implementation guidance;
- assessing consumption patterns, developing public awareness raising strategies and preparing public information toolkits;
- enhancing knowledge and skills development at different stakeholders by training programmes and materials fitting especially for CEE conditions and by direct training measures;
- international networking of stakeholders from old and new EU.